The Coconut Monkey Project

'The Coconut Monkey Project' documents the original paintings and vintage coconut monkey collection of freelance illustrator and tiki bartender Susannah Mosher. For everyone into Tiki Art, Vintage Hawaii and Hawaiiana, Retro Kitch, and Cocktail Culture, Shag, and oh yes. . . Monkeys!

Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Adventure Begins!!!


Aloha, and Welcome travelers!

I am an artist, vintage collector, and tiki bartender who has set out to document my immense and ever growing collection of kool, kreepy, kitsch, COCONUT MONKEYS.

These pieces are part of 'The Coconut Monkey Project.' -My personal crusade to rehabilitate and provide a refuge for wayward coconut monkeys.

HERE IS A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE COCONUT MONKEY:
Captured and brought to the states as souvenirs of exotic tropical vacations, or with servicemen after their tours of duty in the Pacific, these coconut monkeys took up residence in American homes, and became an icon of the tiki and cocktail culture of the 50's and 60's. As rumpus rooms and tiki bars fell out of fashion, so did the coconut monkey. For decades they have been discarded by owners, stranded on garage sale and flee market blankets, and forgotten in dusty attics as their coconut husks fray. Over the past ten years, I have made it my personal mission to open my home as a sanctuary to these coconut monkeys. Here they are put in a place of honor among the bamboo, tiki mugs, and exotic rum bottles to be enjoyed and appreciated by all. I wanted to share my mission, and my love for coconut monkeys with the world, so I decided to paint their portraits. No two paintings, or monkeys, are alike.

In the following months, I will be posting individual updates and bios on the monkeys, as well as the status of the overall collection.

There will also be several ways that you can 'sponsor a coconut monkey', details to be worked out in the near future.

IF YOU LIVE IN THE LOS ANGELES AREA, I WILL BE DISPLAYING THESE COCONUT MONKEY PAINTINGS FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE 'TIKIS AND TERRORS-THE LOST EXPEDITION' ART SHOW. OPENING RECEPTION IS SAT. SEPT. 16TH @ BAHOOKAS IN ROSEMEAD. THIS WILL BE AN AMAZING NIGHT FULL OF ART, MUSIC, FOOD, AND DRINK! NOT TO BE MISSED!

Until then, enjoy the art!

Comments are much appreciated, so let me know if you are out there!

2 Comments:

Blogger Chongolio said...

Very cool to see more of your Coconut Monkey paintings. I really dig them and would be stoked to see more!!

Chongolio

7:16 PM  
Blogger virani said...

excellent. I love your coconut monkey paintings. keep going.

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home